Sunday, August 20, 2006

My Theology?

I re-took this test just for fun. I think they got it right, for the most part. I consider my theology to be somewhat of a mixed bag. I refuse to be boxed into any label. I think labels can be counter productive to any theological conversation, because when we "label" ourselves we tend to do whatever it takes to prove why we are right in what we believe.

Of course, the flip-side of this is you have to know what you believe and be able to communicate that belief system to some extent. So the tension exists. I'm not sure if this is right or wrong; but it's me. Below is a snap-shot of my basic beliefs.

Quick Thought, this is very much a stream of consciousness, so I could easily disagree with myself. :)

1. I'm in the middle of the calvinism/arminism debate.
2. I believe all the spiritual gifts are in operation today; I just do not like how most are portrayed and I feel like most churches abuse the gifts; such as prophecy, tongues, miracles etc...
3. I believe that heaven and hell exist. Who goes where? Well that is a little more complicated, and I do not have time to discuss what I believe. Nor am I sure I could articulate my beliefs.
4. I believe that women can be elders in the church. But I also believe that men are called to be leaders in the household. I also think this theology is really abused and most folks do not get this right.
5. I still consider myself conservative, with a liberal bent. That being said, I tend to want to distance myself from the conservative party or what may be known as the evangelical right, who supports conservative politics. I DO not believe that Ted Haggard, Pat Robertson or The Liberty dude (forgot his name) speaks for me. Nor do I think Brian Mclaren, Emergent Village, Mark Driscoll or any other "big-wig" speaks for me. I respect all of the above that I mentioned, but I also sharply disagree with them on many issues. (especially, the first three mentioned, ouch) But I try to learn from them all.
6. I believe in a humble orthodoxy; one that respects and listens to all people, yes, even other religions. But I also believe that we must be people of conviction and we have to learn when to "stand firm."
7. I think it's vital that we connect with culture. I think we tend to add layers of "don't do's," that hide the beauty of Jesus and bring forth a "religious spirit" that is not Godly or healthy. So, I do not mind smoking, drinking, dancing, playing cards, and hanging out with the "bad" people or what may be otherwise known as sinners.

Although, we must pursue holiness. Which to me is loving your neighbor, serving the world, saying no to consumerism and spending your money right (or should I just say, learning to be a good steward in life in general). Messy is good in my book, as long as it's not an excuse to live in sin.

I also believe that faith and struggle are essentials to the Christian faith.

Ok enough, not sure why I even did this, but I think the biggest reason is simple; I'm constantly trying to understand myself and my role within the church. And at this point my conclusion is, I do not fit in with any certain organization or denomination. But I do desire to help all Christ-followers to become missional believers, who walk "humbly before God" and who desire to bring "healing to humanity," which can only be done by God's love, grace and power. AMEN!

======================


You scored as Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan. You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavily by John Wesley and the Methodists.

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan


82%

Emergent/Postmodern


71%

Neo orthodox


68%

Reformed Evangelical


57%

Charismatic/Pentecostal


50%

Fundamentalist


46%

Classical Liberal


43%

Roman Catholic


36%

Modern Liberal


29%

What's your theological worldview?
created with QuizFarm.com

No comments: