Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I Must Stop Reading

The last few days have been a bit strange for me. I have such a real sense of God's "aliveness," my spirit is a bit overwhelmed. On one hand, I'm doing my best to focus on practical issues that I'm facing. But, to be honest...I just want to take a Bible, a few books, some good music and a journal and go on a week long hike, or spend some time at a monastery or a camp. But that not happening right now.

In the meantime, this scripture is crushing my soul:

Epaphras, who is [one] of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God. Col 4:12


I want to stand confident in God's will, I want to hear His voice. But, that is easier said then done, right?

and this quote by MLK JR had got me thinking for sure:


“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter."


Honestly, I think much of this burden that I feel has to do with some of the books that I'm reading, like Driscoll's latest book Confessions of a Reformission Rev.

This book is raw, honest, funny and heavy. But really good. I can only read a few pages and I want to spend time in prayer and reading other "views," but no time for that. Sometimes I also want to take my cigar and light the book on fire and throw it in the dumpster, but hey...I keep reading.

I'm also reading Dallas Willard latest: The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus's Essential Teachings on Discipleship.

Dallas simply paints a picture of who I want to become as a Christ follower.

And finally I'm still reading NT Wright Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense.

Another really good book. Wright & Willard works have such a huge impact on me, I guess the best way to put it is that I simply resonate with what they are saying. It's so natural for me.

Now Driscoll is a different story, he makes me mad, but in a good way. We differ on much theology, but not on missiology.

Of course, if you add the Bible to these books, no wonder my heart is so freaking burdened and messed up. This stuff will screw with you, cause you to think, ponder, wonder and change, of course change is hard, and difficult and not fun, but its needed.

Lord change me, for your glory!

1 comment:

the nygrens said...

dude, we were in austin last weekend. i wish i would have known you guys were there. we had sooo much open time, it was great.

you need to connect with these guys:
http://oakgroveabbey.blogspot.com

greg and the crew are great folks.

i'll keep in touch and we can touch base next time we're in the area.

peace!
justin
http://tribalicious.squarespace.com